If you've never had a steak with Chimichurri Sauce you don't know what you are missing. It's so easy to make that you will want to make some every time you grill going forward.
I was first exposed to this meat condiment while watching an episode of Bobby Flay. I don't exactly recall how he made his but I was on a mission to make one that worked for my taste buds.
What I love about a sauce recipe like this is that it uses simple ingredients that I almost always have on-hand. On the rare occasions where I don't have any shallots, I simply substitute for a red onion.
🥩 What is Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri Sauce is an Argentinian sauce used as a topping for grilled meat. It is typically made with Italian Parsley, Olive Oil, Garlic and Red Wine Vinegar.
The quantities listed below for this wonderful steak sauce is a little more on the liquid side. If you prefer your sauce to be a little thicker I would suggest either adding more cilantro and parsley or using just a little less olive oil.
And don't forget, a little crushed red pepper flakes go a long way. If you don't want this sauce to be too hot, use less red pepper flakes or you can leave them out completely.
For more great homemade Sauces like this one, check out my assortment of Condiments, Sauces and Dry Rubs Recipes.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you try the following recipes:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Chimichurri Sauce: Fresh Cilantro, Fresh Italian Parsley, Garlic Cloves, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar, Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, Kosher Salt and a Shallot.
🥣 How to make Chimichurri Sauce
Add all of the ingredients except for the shallot to a blender or food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are well chopped, but not pureed.
Scrape down the sides with a spatula so the ingredients can process evenly. Transfer the chimichurri to a bowl. Add the shallot and stir till well combined.
Add more salt, red vinegar and red pepper flakes to taste.
Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
🍳 Recipe Card
Easy Chimichurri Sauce
- Food Processor
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro, packed
- ¼ cup Fresh Italian Parsley, packed
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅛ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ½ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 small Shallots, chopped
- Add all of the ingredients except for the shallot to a blender or food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are well chopped, but not pureed.
- Scrape down the sides with a spatula so the ingredients can process evenly. Transfer the chimichurri to a bowl. Add the shallot and stir till well combined.
- Add more salt, red vinegar and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.