Macaroni Salad is a must for any BBQ. When was the last time you went to a BBQ and there was no macaroni salad? That's why I came up with Hot Rod's Macaroni Salad.
You could be having burgers, hot dogs, chicken or even some BBQ ribs, doesn't really matter. You must have a good macaroni salad to go with your meat.
Over the years I've had so many different kinds of pasta salads. Some are dry, while others are creamy. I finally decided to experiment and create my own version. Give this recipe a try and it will make it to your shortlist.
💭 Recipe Variation
For some odd reason, I like to use Ditalini pasta when making this pasta salad recipe. This is a personal preference but you can use whatever kind of pasta noodles you have on hand.
I think what makes my Macaroni Salad so unique is some of the ingredients I added to my version of the classic macaroni salad. Ingredients like avocados, black olives, yogurt, and relish.
💭 What is Al Dente
When making macaroni salads, it's important to cook the pasta al dente to ensure to best texture possible. If you are not familiar with the term "al dente", it means cooking the pasta so it's still chewy and firm and that it will hold its shape when the sauce is added to it.
If you've ever wondered what part of the pig Bacon comes from check out the picture below. Surprised?
🥓 How to Make Bacon
If you struggle to make bacon perfectly, I've put together a short tutorial on How to Make Perfect Bacon - 3 Ways. Check it out! My preferred method is baking it in the oven.
And don't throw away that bacon grease! Bacon is expensive and the grease is great for making Scrambled Eggs, Grilled Cheese, Popcorn and even hash browns. It can keep up to 3 months if properly stored in the refrigerator.
🎥 How to cut an Avocado (Video)
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Macaroni Salad recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Macaroni, Peas, Bacon, Avocado, Black Olives, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, White Sugar, Salt, Dijon Mustard, Mayonnaise, Sour Cream, Greek Yogurt, Apple Cider Vinegar, Sweet Relish, Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Fresh Cilantro, Green Onions and Cheddar Cheese.
🥣 How to Make Macaroni Salad
In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, olive oil, lemon zest, chili powder, salt & pepper. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add all the remaining ingredients except the macaroni and cilantro and toss till well combined.
In a saucepan, cook the macaroni al dente according to the directions on the package.
Drain the pasta in a colander and add to the large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
Add the lime juice mixture and mix well.
Refrigerate for 1 hour or more before serving.
Optionally garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro.
Hot Rod’s Macaroni Salad
- Bowl for Mixing
- ⅓ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- ⅓ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup Peas
- 1 Cup Bacon, Crumbled
- 1 Cup Avocado, Diced
- ¾ Cup Black Olives, Chopped
- 1 tablespoon White Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Cup Sweet Relish
- ½ Cup Green Onions, Diced
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 lb Macaroni
- ⅓ Cup Fresh Cilantro, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk the lime juice, olive oil, lemon zest, chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Set aside.⅓ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice, ⅓ Cup Olive Oil, 1 ½ tablespoon Lemon Zest, 1 teaspoon Chili Powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Salt and Pepper, 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the remaining ingredients except the macaroni and cilantro and toss till well combined.1 Cup Peas, 1 Cup Bacon, 1 Cup Avocado, ¾ Cup Black Olives, 1 tablespoon White Sugar, 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard, 1 Cup Mayonnaise, ¼ Cup Sour Cream, ½ Cup Plain Greek Yogurt, ¼ teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar, ½ Cup Sweet Relish, ½ Cup Green Onions, 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- In a saucepan, cook the macaroni al dente according to the directions on the package.1 lb Macaroni
- Drain the pasta in a colander and add to the large mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Add the lime juice mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or more before serving.
- Optionally garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro.⅓ Cup Fresh Cilantro
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.