My wife is always asking me to cook healthier meals. It’s not that I mind so much, it’s that it’s difficult at times to make a healthy and savory dish. Well, this Healthy Lentil Butternut Squash Chili is both delicious and good for you!
The first step to making a good healthy chili was to find a replacement for the meat. Here’s where the Lentils come into play. Lentils can be beneficial for heart health as they contain fiber, folic acid, and potassium.
Lentils also contain essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber for your diet. Pair the lentils up with some butternut squash – which is full of Vitamin E and Potassium – and you get a super savory and healthy meal!
🥜 Nut Allergies
This recipe may contain peanuts or other nuts and seeds as one of its ingredients. Please take the appropriate precautions.
Have you ever had Butternut Squash Quesadillas? If not you don't know what you are missing!
For more great recipes with Lentils, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Lentil Butternut Squash Chili recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Canola Oil, Garlic, Chili Powder, Vegetable Broth, Lentils, Sriracha, Butternut Squash, Diced Tomatoes, Fresh Cilantro, Chopped and Pumpkin Seeds.
🥣 How to Make Lentil Butternut Squash Chili
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for approximately 1 minute. Add the chili powder and stir for another 30 seconds.
Pour in the vegetable broth, lentils, and sriracha to the saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in butternut squash and tomatoes and let simmer covered for another 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
Healthy Lentil Butternut Squash Chili
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 4 tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 ½ Cups Lentils, Rinsed
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce
- 2 Cups Butternut Squash, Diced
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- ¼ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and stir for approximately 1 minute. Add chili powder and stir for another 30 seconds.
- Add vegetable broth, lentils and sriracha to saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in butternut squash and tomatoes and let simmer covered for another 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Serve in bowls garnished with cilantro and pumpkin seeds.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
This lentil butternut squash chili is the best I have ever made. Very tasty. It is a super healthy meal, and my picky family loved it. Will make this for a get together later this week.