It's Taco Tuesday and I am looking for a new topping for my tacos! Sure I can settle for cheese, sour cream and lettuce but why not take it up a notch and use these Pickled Veggie Taco Toppings on my tacos?
We often like to use my Pickled Red Onions with our tacos so I figured I would come up with another recipe using different types of vegetables.
This taco topping is packed full of flavor and brings a little heat with it thanks to the Jalapeños. I especially like this topping when having steak tacos but it's also very good with chicken tacos.
This recipe involves pickling the vegetables using a hot vinegar mixture so it does not require any special processing. Once you seal the jars you simply store them in the refrigerator.
🌶 How to Handle Hot Peppers
The capsaicin in hot peppers is what makes peppers hot. If you handle hot peppers gloveless, it’s a guarantee that you’re in for a nasty case of chili burn, both on your fingers and anywhere you rub. Like your face. Ouch!
Even if you wear disposable gloves, be careful about what you touch. The gloves are going to protect your fingers, but touching any part of your body with the gloves after you’ve handled hot peppers can lead to severe chili burn. Resist the temptation to rub your eyes. Wait until you’ve removed your gloves and washed your hands thoroughly with soap.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What ingredients do I need
You will need these ingredients to make this homemade taco quickies recipe: Carrots, Radishes, Shallots, Fresh Cilantro, Jalapeños, Whole Black Peppercorns, Mustard Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Red Pepper Flakes, Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, White Sugar and Salt.
🥣 How do I make this Pickled Veggie Taco Toppings
Clean 4 pint jars and lids. Pack the carrots, radishes, shallots, cilantro, and Jalapeños evenly into pint jars.
Divide peppercorns, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and crushed red pepper flakes evenly among jars.
In a small saucepan combine the water, the vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables making sure to cover vegetables.
Let cool for 30 minutes. Seal and label jars. Chill overnight before serving.
🍳 Recipe Card
Pickled Veggie Taco Toppings
- 1 lb Carrots, shredded
- 1 lb Radishes, shredded
- 1 Large Shallots, thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Jalapeño(s), sliced
- 2 Tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes, crushed
- 2 ½ Cups Water
- 1 ¾ Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tsp White Sugar
- 4 Tsp Salt
- Clean 4 pint jars and lids. Pack the carrots, radishes, shallots, cilantro, and Jalapeños evenly into pint jars.
- Divide peppercorns, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and crushed red pepper flakes evenly among jars.
- In a small saucepan combine the water, the vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Pour hot vinegar mixture over vegetables making sure to cover vegetables.
- Let cool for 30 minutes. Seal and label jars. Chill overnight before serving.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.