This Wild Rice and Bean Salad is perfect for those looking for a healthy, low-carb dish. My wife is always asking me to try and make healthier dishes.
I know I have to eat healthier as well (which is difficult when you are always cooking or baking) and this salad hits the mark.
Not only does this salad taste great, but it's also healthy. If you are like me and trying to eat low-carb dishes, this is a good candidate. While you could use white rice, wild rice is so much healthier for you and low in carbs.
🌶 How to Handle Hot Peppers
The capsaicin in hot peppers is what makes peppers hot. If you handle hot peppers gloveless, it’s a guarantee that you’re in for a nasty case of chili burn, both on your fingers and anywhere you rub. Like your face. Ouch!
Even if you wear disposable gloves, be careful about what you touch. The gloves are going to protect your fingers, but touching any part of your body with the gloves after you’ve handled hot peppers can lead to severe chili burn.
Resist the temptation to rub your eyes. Wait until you’ve removed your gloves and washed your hands thoroughly with soap.
🌡️ How Hot Are the Peppers
The Scoville Scale is the measurement that tells you the spiciness of a given type of pepper.
|Pepper Type||Scoville Rating (Heat)|
|Tabasco & Cayenne||30,000-50,000|
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Wild Rice and Bean Salad recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Wild Rice, Red Kidney Beans, Black Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Red Onion, Fresh Cilantro, Jalapeños, Red Wine Vinegar, Olive Oil, White Sugar, Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
🥣 How to Make Wild Rice and Bean Salad
In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and mix well. Make sure the rice is at room temperature before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined.
Pour dressing over the salad and toss making sure all ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Wild Rice and Bean Salad
- Bowl for Mixing (small)
- Large Bowl
- 2 Cups Wild Rice, cooked & cooled
- 15 oz Red Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained
- 15 oz Black Beans, rinsed & drained
- 15 oz Garbanzo Beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ Red Onion, chopped
- ½ Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Fresh Jalapeño, diced
- 3 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoon White Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients and mix well. Make sure rice is at room temperature before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss making sure all ingredient are well coated with the dressing.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.