My wife asked me to try and make the Cranberry Orange Muffins she gets at Panera and this is what I came up with.
I typically would call this a copycat recipe but I took more liberties than I usually do and didn't think it was right to label this recipe a Panera copycat recipe. Nothing wrong with these cranberry orange muffins at all, just not a true copycat recipe.
💭 Ingredient Substitution
To make a turbinado sugar substitute: Blend half brown sugar and half white sugar to replace the full amount of turbinado sugar.
For one, I used a regular muffin pan instead of the jumbo kind Panera uses. I used dried cranberries while Panera uses fresh cranberries so I am told. I know it doesn't sound like much but to me it is.
🥛 Buttermilk Substitution
If you don't have Buttermilk on hand, you can use this trick as a substitute: Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add milk and fill to the 1 cup measurement line. Stir the mixture together and let sit for 5 minutes. Since this recipe calls for ½ cup you will need to adjust accordingly.
Another option is to use a cultured buttermilk blend. All you need to do is add water. I was very skeptical at first but in a pinch it works great!
These muffins tend to bake pretty quickly so I suggest you start checking for doneness around the 18-20 minute mark. If a toothpick comes out clean then you know you can safely pull it from the oven.
As you all know I pride myself on publishing recipes that use simple ingredients and realize that the Turbinado may not be considered a simple ingredient that everyone has on hand but do yourself a favor a get yourself a small bag. You won't regret it.
For more great recipes with Buttermilk, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Cranberry Orange Muffins recipe (see recipe card for quantities): All Purpose Flour, Cornstarch, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt, Vegetable Oil, White Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla Extract, Buttermilk, Orange Zest, Dried Cranberries and Turbinado Sugar.
🥣 How to Make Cranberry Orange Muffins
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oil and sugar until well combined. Mix in the eggs one at a time then mix in the vanilla extract.
Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the large mixing bowl with the oil and sugar mixing after each addition.
Fold in the fresh orange zest and dried cranberries. Fill each muffin liner with the batter. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top of each muffin.
Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool slightly, then move the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Bowl for Mixing
- Muffin Pan
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ⅔ Cup White Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 ½ Cups Dried Cranberries, divided
- 2 tablespoon Turbinado Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well combined.1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour, 1 tablespoon Cornstarch, 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oil and sugar until well combined. Mix in the eggs one at a time then mix in the vanilla extract.½ Cup Vegetable Oil, ⅔ Cup White Sugar, 2 large Eggs, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the large mixing bowl with the oil and sugar mixing after each addition.½ Cup Buttermilk
- Fold in the fresh orange zest and dried cranberries. Fill each muffin liner with the batter. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top of each muffin.2 teaspoon Orange Zest, 1 ½ Cups Dried Cranberries, 2 tablespoon Turbinado Sugar
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool slightly, then move the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
These muffins are very moist. I love cranberries in any form and I love oranges, so this recipe was a no brainer. Even on the second day they were still very moist.
Made these today. Wonderful...Cranberry/orange anything is my favorite and these hit the mark. Thanks!!