I was going through some old recipe books and found this recipe for Maple Syrup Ham Steaks in an old French Canadian recipe book I had.
It was written in french and quantities were in metric but with a little elbow grease and some help from some of my family members that speak French I was able to modernize this simple recipe.
💭 Recipe Tip
Try to use pure maple syrup as much as possible. While pancake syrup is an acceptable substitute, it is not the same thing!
The original recipe called for currants instead of raisins. I decided to use raisins instead because I believe they are a lot more common than currants. But you can certainly use an equal amount of currants if you have some on hand.
When I made this recipe I didn't have any leftover ham on hand so I purchased these ham steaks pre-cut from my local grocery store. Try to buy the leanest cut you can.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Maple Syrup Ham Steaks recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Ham Steaks, Maple Syrup, Unsweetened Apple Juice, Apple Jelly, Light Brown Sugar, Ground Dry Mustard and Raisins.
🥣 How to make Maple Syrup Ham Steaks
In a small bowl, whisk all the marinade ingredients until well incorporated.
Place the marinade in a sealed container or ziplock-type resealable bag.
Add the ham steaks to the marinade and let them marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
Remove the ham steaks from the marinade and cook using one of the following methods.
Pan Fry Method
Add the ham steaks and a small amount of the marinade to a skillet. Cover skillet & heat on medium heat for 5 minutes flipping the steaks once. Remove the cover and cook until browned.
Put the ham steaks on a microwave-safe plate. Cover the ham with a paper towel. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes or until hot. Let stand in the microwave for 1 minute, remove the paper towel and serve.
Easy Maple Syrup Ham Steaks
- Bowl for Mixing
- 4 Lean Ham Steaks
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Apple Juice
- ¼ Cup Apple Jelly
- 2 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Ground Dry Mustard
- 2 tablespoon Raisins
- In a small bowl, whisk all the marinade ingredients until well incorporated.
- Place the marinade in a sealed container or ziplock type bag.
- Add the ham steaks to the marinade and let them marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
- Remove the ham steaks from the marinade and cook using one of the following methods.
Pan Fry Method
- Add the ham steaks and a small amount of the marinade to a skillet. Cover skillet & heat on medium heat for 5 minutes flipping the steaks once. Remove the cover and cook until browned.
- Put the ham steaks on a microwave safe plate. Cover the ham with paper towel. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes or until hot. Let stand in microwave for 1 minute, remove paper towel and serve.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
My family loves ham so for this year’s Thanksgiving I decided to make this recipe. It was delicious. The leftovers the next day were just as delicious.