There are a few different ways to prepare a classic meat pie, but in my opinion, they are all great. This recipe is popular with many but oddly enough, my mom doesn’t like this version as it’s too “mushy”. She has her own recipe that I will post at a later date.
I will admit that it took me a bit to convince the wife to try this recipe. Not because it’s not good, but because for a born and raised California girl, this recipe simply sounds odd. Not because she is not a fan of red meat. She just couldn’t wrap her head around what a meat pie would look like or taste like. But let me tell you when she tried it, she loved it!
French Canadian Tourtière (Meat Pie)Print Pin Rate
- 1 lbs Ground Beef, Lean
- 1 lbs Ground Pork
- 1 Large Baking Potato
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Finely Diced
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Allspice
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Double Pie Crust
- 1 Egg(s), Beaten
- 1/4 Tsp Paprika
How to make this Recipe
- Bake the potato using your favorite method. Peel and mash the potato.
- Place the mashed potato, ground pork, ground beef, onions, spices and water in a large frying pan and simmer until very thick, for about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a deep-dish pie plate with pastry. Spoon in filling, spreading evenly. Cover with top crust.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cut steam vent. Bake for 50 minutes. If edges brown too fast, cover with a strip of foil. Serve warm.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.