Here's another old family recipe for you to try. Helen’s Molasses Cookies recipe is close to 100 yrs old. Here's what I have learned from old family recipes. Some are great but most of them are not. I think it's because of the ingredients and their techniques.
Just like everything, things have progressed over the past century. I'm sure this recipe was the bomb back in the day but nowadays we do things a little differently
That being said, this recipe has lasted the test of time. I made it and ate it and if it was not up to my strict standards you wouldn't be reading this recipe article.
I'm not sure when my obsession with Molasses Cookies started. Not sure I actually care either. I just love the flavor of molasses cookies especially when they are soft. While these cookies are not as soft & moist as my signature Molasses Cookies, they are really delicious.
If you really like molasses cookies, make sure you try my favorite Molasses Cookie Recipe. And for more delicious recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Molasses Cookies recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Canola Oil, Molasses, White Sugar, Eggs, Baking Soda, Water, All Purpose Flour, Salt, Cream of Tartar, Ground Ginger, Ground Cinnamon and Ground Cloves.
🥣 How to Make Helen's Molasses Cookies
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, mix canola oil, molasses, white sugar, and beaten egg.
Dissolve 4 teaspoon of Baking Soda in a Cup of Hot Water. Add water mixture to molasses mixture.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Wrap the bowl and let chill in refrigerator overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before you plan on baking the cookies.
Roll dough out and use cookie cutters to shape cookies. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cookies cool on wire rack.
Helen's Molasses Cookies
- 1 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Molasses
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ⅔ Water, Hot
- 5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix canola oil, molasses, white sugar and beaten egg.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoon of Baking Soda in a Cup of Hot Water. Add water mixture to molasses mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Wrap bowl and let chill in refrigerator overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before you plan on baking the cookies.
- Roll dough out and use cookie cutters to shape cookies. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cookies cool on wire rack.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.