Over the years I even entered this recipe into a couple of local Chili Cook-offs competitions. I can proudly say that I have never ranked less than 3rd and have finished first several times. Now I’m sure some of you are looking at the ingredients and thinking that this chili is complicated to make but it really isn’t!
According to the International Chili Society, there are several categories of Chili: Traditional Red Chili, Chili Verde, Homestyle Chili, and, believe it or not, Salsa. They stipulate that Homestyle Chili is the only category of chili that allows the use of “fillers” such as beans and pasta.
That being said, Chili Appreciation Society International, does not appear to categorize the chili, but adamantly forbids beans and other nonstandard ingredients, like macaroni, rice, and hominy.
Hot Rod’s Famous ChiliPrint Pin Rate
- 2 lbs Beef, Cubed
- 1 lbs Italian Sausage , Spicy Hot
- 15 oz Chili Beans
- 15 oz Pinto Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 15 oz Black Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 15 oz Kidney Beans, Rinsed and Drained
- 30 oz Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, Diced
- 3 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 3 Jalapeño(s), Finely Diced
- 2 Cups Bacon, Cooked and Chopped
- 12 oz Beer, Red Lager
- 1/2 Cup Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 2 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Cayenne
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Semi-Sweet Chocolate Squares
- 1 Tbsp Spicy Mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Better Than Bouillon, Beef
- Hot Sauce, To Taste
How to make this Recipe
- In a large pot, add onion, ground beef and sausage and cook until brown. Drain fat.
- Add all vegetables to pot and stir. Add drained canned beans and canned tomatoes and stir.
- Add spices, sugar, chocolate, mustard and better than bouillon and stir until well combined.
- Add hot sauce to taste.
- Add bacon and beer, stir and cover. Let simmer for a couple of hours stirring occasionally.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.