My family loves scones. I've already posted my recipes for my Lemon Poppy Seed Scones and my Blueberry Scones but since the Fall season is upon us, I thought I would make these Pumpkin Ginger Scones.
These scones are pretty easy to make. The only challenging part is when you cut in the cold butter. A couple of tips here. Make sure your butter is cold. I like to cut my butter into small pieces and then let them rest in the freezer for a bit.
I've also seen some that prefer to freeze the butter then use a cheese grater to get the butter evenly distributed throughout the flour. I've also had success with this method.
If you don't have any fresh ginger on hand, you can substitute for ground ginger. I've tried both and using ground ginger does not change the flavor profile too much.
If you've ever wondered where Scones come from, check out this article on Wiki about Scones.
For more great recipes with Pumpkin Puree, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Pumpkin Ginger Scones recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Sugar, All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Ground Cinnamon, Baking Soda, Salt, Butter, Egg, Pumpkin Puree, Sour Cream, Fresh Ginger and Butter.
🥣 How do I Make Pumpkin Ginger Scones
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Reserve 1 tablespoon Sugar, set aside
In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture is like coarse crumbs
In a small bowl, beat the egg. Add pumpkin sour cream and ginger. Beat till well blended.
Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture until a soft dough forms.
Transfer dough to a floured surface. Knead 10 times. Roll out to a 9 x 6 rectangle. Cut six 3-inch squares then cut each square diagonally to form 12 triangles.
Place 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with reserved sugar.
Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
Pumpkin Ginger Scones
- Baking Sheet
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, Cold
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Puree
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, Melted
- Preheat Oven to 425F.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon Sugar, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remainig sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives, until mixture is like coarse crumbs
- In a small bowl, eat egg. Add pumpkin sour cream and ginger. Beat till well blended.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture until a soft dough forms.
- Tranfer dough to floured surface. Knead 10 times. Roll out to a 9 x 6 rectangle. Cut six 3-inch squares then cut each square diagnolly to form 12 triangles.
- Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with reserved sugar.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
These scones are soooo good! Just in time for pumpkin season!
These are really good. Not crumby but flaky. The hint of Ginger is nice. Very good!!