The Fall season is upon us which means my spouse wants pumpkin everything. Instead of the usual pumpkin baked goods, I decided to make us some Pumpkin Penne Pasta.
I decided to use Penne Pasta because I had a box of it on hand. But for this recipe, you can use whatever kind of pasta you want. Rotini or Bow Tie (Farfalle) pasta would go great with this creamy pumpkin sauce. Whatever kind of pasta you decide to use for this recipe, just make sure you cook the pasta al dente.
💭 What is Al Dente
When making pasta, it's important to cook the pasta al dente to ensure to best texture possible. If you are not familiar with the term "al dente", it means cooking the pasta so it's still chewy and firm and that it will hold its shape when the sauce is added to it.
The surprise ingredient in this pumpkin pasta recipe is the hot sauce. While this recipe only calls for 1 teaspoon you might want to adjust or completely leave it out if you don't want the heat. I usually use Cholula but use whatever you have on hand. Remember a little goes a long way!
💭 Recipe Variation
If you want to add even more flavor to this delicious dish, you can use some chopped up fresh sage and add it to the creamy pumpkin sauce as well as use some as a garnish.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Penne Pumpkin Pasta recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Penne Pasta, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Shallots, Garlic Cloves, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Pumpkin Puree, Heavy Cream, Hot Sauce, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Cinnamon, Salt, Pepper and Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese.
🥣 How to make Pumpkin Penne Pasta
In a saucepan, cook the penne pasta al dente according to the directions on the box.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, sauté for 3 minutes.
Stir in the chicken broth and the pumpkin puree. Whisk till combined. Stir in the heavy cream.
Add hot sauce, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Fold in the cooked penne pasta. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese to taste.
Pumpkin Penne Pasta
- 1 lb Penne Pasta
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Shallots, finely chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 15 oz Pumpkin Puree
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Hot Sauce, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, Grated
- In a saucepan, cook the penne pasta al dente according to the directions on the box.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth and the pumpkin puree. Whisk till combined. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add hot sauce, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked penne pasta. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese to taste.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.