The only reason I am calling this a Sloppy Joe Casserole is that it shares many of the same ingredients as a traditional Sloppy Joe Sandwich. You can check out my Sloppy Joes Sandwich recipe for comparison.
One of the surprise ingredients in this casserole is the corn. The corn adds a little sweetness as well as a nice texture. I was almost tempted to add some chopped bacon (because we all know that everything tastes better with bacon) but this dish did not need any help.
As far as the cheese is concerned, the Colby Jack really compliments this dish. But if you don’t have any on hand or not in the mood to make a grocery run just for some Colby Jack cheese, you can substitute with mozzarella or a nice cheddar cheese.
Sloppy Joe CasserolePrint Pin Rate
- 1 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Small Onion, Chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, Chopped
- 14 oz Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Yellow Mustard
- 2 Cups frozen Whole Kernel Corn
- 16 oz Penne Pasta
- 8 oz Colby Jack Cheese, Shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How to make this Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a little olive oil a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and garlic until the beef is browned and crumbly. Drain and discard grease.
- Stir tomatoes, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper into ground beef mixture; reduce heat and simmer until heated through.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook corn in the boiling water until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Bring another large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook al dente according to directions on package. Drain and set aside.
- Add corn, pasta, and cheese to ground beef mixture. Mix well. Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.