I've been using my Instant Pot a lot lately. The more I get to know its features, the more I want to use it. Now this Slow Cooker Honey Chicken with Quinoa recipe does not require an Instant Pot but you will need some sort of slow cooker.
If I was to take a survey on what you all cook the most in your Instant Pot or crockpot, I would have to guess that Chicken would come out on top. Whether it's Chicken Breasts, Legs or Wings, I'm sure all of you have your favorite crockpot chicken recipes.
Try to resist as much as possible the temptation to open the lid while it's cooking as the slow cooker loses heat. By just opening the lid to stir the contents can make the internal temperature drop by 10°F to 15°F.
I made this particular Chicken dish to serve over a bed of Quinoa. Obviously, you can substitute the Quinoa for something else like rice or you can use the chicken to make some tacos or even use it over nachos. Now you are probably wondering why Quinoa over Rice.
💭 Why choose Quinoa over Rice
- Quinoa has fewer calories and carbs than rice.
- Quinoa has more protein than rice.
- Quinoa they say keeps you full for longer than rice.
- Quinoa can help with weight loss.
🐓 How to Handle Raw Chicken
Leave the chicken in the fridge until ready to use.
Be careful of dripping juices. Clean up immediately.
Do not wash raw chicken (prevents cross-contamination).
Wash all utensils and cutting board (if applicable).
If marinating the chicken, make sure you toss the juices before you cook. Don't ever use the juice from the marinade.
Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
For more delicious recipes you can make in your Slow Cooker, check out my collection of Slow Cooker recipes. I also recommend you check out these recipes:
📋 What ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Slow cooker Honey Chicken with Quinoa recipe: Chicken Breasts, Soy Sauce, Honey, Olive Oil, Onion Powder, Garlic Cloves, Kosher Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Cornstarch, Quinoa, Green Onions and Sesame Seeds.
🥣 How to Make Slow Cooker Honey Chicken with Quinoa
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your crockpot.
In a small mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, olive oil, onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
Pour sauce over the chicken ensuring all breasts are well covered. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. At the halfway point, flip the chicken to ensure it's covered with sauce.
Once cooked, the chicken should easily fall apart. Once all the chicken breasts are shredded, add 2 Tbsp of Cornstarch and mix well. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens up.
Serve chicken over the cooked quinoa. Optionally top the chicken with green onions and sesame seeds.
Slow Cooker Honey Chicken with Quinoa
- Slow Cooker
- 2 lbs Chicken Breasts
- ½ Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- ½ Cup Honey
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- Quinoa, cooked
- Green Onions, Diced
- Sesame Seeds
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your crock pot.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, olive oil, onion powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Pour sauce over chicken ensuring all breasts are well covered. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours. At the half way point, flip the chicken to ensure it's covered with sauce.
- Once cooked, chicken should easily fall apart. Once all the chicken breasts are shredded, add 2 Tbsp of Cornstarch and mix well. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Serve chicken over the cooked quinoa. Optionally top the chicken with green onions and sesame seeds.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.