This Banana Wheat Bread is a healthier option compared to some of the other banana bread recipes I have posted before.
💭 Recipe Note
If you have gluten intolerance or celiac disease you probably want to avoid using wheat germ. Oat Bran would be a good substitute. I'm not a medical expert so please do your research before making this recipe!
🍌 How to pick the right Bananas
The best bananas for banana bread are when they are overripe, not yellow but black. Or they're at least streaked with black/brown. The darker the better. If you can't find overripe bananas, you can speed up the process by putting the bananas in a paper bag along with an apple and loosely fold down the top. The bananas should ripen in just a day or two using this method.
The one noticeable difference between this banana bread recipe and others is that you don't use any sugar. The sweetness comes from the honey. This recipe also doesn't call for any butter.
For more great recipes like this one, check out my huge collection of Bread Recipes. My all-time favorite is Janet's Banana Bread. And while you are here, I suggest you check out these delicious recipes:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Banana Wheat Bread recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ, Salt, Baking Soda, Mashed Bananas, Vegetable Oil, Honey, Eggs, Vanilla Extract and Pecans.
🥣 How to make Banana Wheat Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine oil, honey, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the banana mixture.
Mix together until dry ingredients are moistened. Optionally fold in the pecans.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes then remove loaf to cool on wire rack.
Banana Wheat Bread
- Loaf Pan
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ cup Wheat Germ
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ cups Ripe Bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Honey
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oil, honey, eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, salt and baking soda. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the banana mixture.
- Mix together until dry ingredients are moistened. Optionally fold in the pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes then remove loaf to cool on wire rack.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
I just love this banana bread. The honey makes it nice and sweet. A great addition to my banana bread recipes.