Everybody loves good banana bread. While I am partial to my other Banana Bread Recipe, this Buttermilk Banana Bread comes in a close second. Don't be fooled by the buttermilk in this recipe though. Buttermilk is what makes this Banana Bread absolutely delicious!
As I've mentioned before in some of the other Banana Bread recipes on this site, the riper the bananas the better. To be honest, I never realized how many different ways there were to make Banana Bread. The good thing is it's pretty hard to find a "bad" banana bread recipe.
🥛 Buttermilk Substitution
If you don't have Buttermilk on hand, you can use this trick as a substitute: Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add milk and fill to the 1 cup measurement line. Stir the mixture together and let sit for 5 minutes. Since this recipe calls for ½ cup you will need to adjust accordingly.
Another option is to use a cultured buttermilk blend. All you need to do is add water. I was very skeptical at first but in a pinch it works great!
🍌 How to pick the right Bananas
The best bananas for banana bread are when they are overripe, not yellow but black. Or they're at least streaked with black/brown. The darker the better.
If you can't find overripe bananas, you can speed up the process by putting the bananas in a paper bag along with an apple and loosely fold down the top. The bananas should ripen in just a day or two using this method.
🥜 Nut Allergies
This recipe may contain peanuts or other nuts and seeds as one of its ingredients. Please take the appropriate precautions.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Buttermilk Banana Bread recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Unsalted Butter, White Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla Extract, Bananas, Buttermilk, All Purpose Flour, Baking Soda, Salt and optionally some Nuts.
🥣 How to Make Buttermilk Banana Bread
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer.
Add the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract and mashed bananas to the butter mixture and mix till combined.
Add all the remaining dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix well.
Optionally fold in chopped nuts if using.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the banana bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Loaf Pan
- Bowl for Mixing
- Hand Mixer
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Nuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar using an electric hand mixer.½ Cup Unsalted Butter, 1 Cup White Sugar
- Add the eggs and mix well. Add the buttermilk, vanilla extract and mashed bananas to the butter mixture and mix till combined.2 Eggs, 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract, 3 Ripe Bananas, ½ Cup Buttermilk
- Add all the remaining dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix well.2 Cups All Purpose Flour, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Optionally fold in chopped nuts if using.½ Cup Nuts
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the banana bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
What size of loaf pan?
A standard 8x4 loaf pan is what I use.