I was preparing a gnocchi dish one night and realized I forgot to pick up some bread to go along with the pasta. I didn't even have any canned biscuits on hand. No sense in panicking though. I remembered I had this awesome Cast Iron Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits recipe I was dying to make.
These biscuits are simple to make and produce a flaky texture and are absolutely delicious! All you need are a handful of ingredients and a cast-iron skillet!
🥛 Buttermilk Substitution
If you don't have Buttermilk on hand, you can use this trick as a substitute: Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add milk and fill to the 1 cup measurement line. Stir the mixture together and let sit for 5 minutes.
You are not limited to using a 2 ½ inch cutter either when making these biscuits. I sometimes use a larger cutter. Sure you get fewer biscuits but they are bigger!
For more great recipes like this one, make sure you check out my collection of Bread Recipes as well as these awesome recipes:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Cast-Iron Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits recipe (see recipe card for quantities): All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Kosher Salt, White Sugar, Unsalted Butter and Buttermilk.
🥣 How to Make Cast-Iron Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Cut in cold butter until mix until crumbly.
Gradually start to add buttermilk to dry mixture, consistently stirring until the mixture is completely moist.
Move dough to a gently floured surface and knead a handful of times.
Roll dough out to approximately ¾ inch thick. Fold dough in half, roll out the dough until ¾ inch thick again.
Using a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter, cut biscuits, and place in a cast-iron skillet.
Bake for approximately 17 minutes or until browned.
Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
Cast-Iron Skillet Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ teaspoon White Sugar
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, Cubed
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut in cold butter until mix until crumbly.
- Gradually start to add buttermilk to dry mixture, consistently stirring until mixture is completely moist.
- Move dough to gently floored surface and knead a handful of time.
- Roll dough out to approximately ¾ inch thick. Fold dough in half, roll out dough until ¾ inch thick again.
- Using a 2 ½ inch cookie cutter, cut biscuits and place in cast-iron skillet.
- Bake for approximately 17 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.