Growing up, Nanaimo Bars were one of my favorite sweets. Sweet custard sandwiched between chocolate. How can you go wrong?
These Nanaimo bars are probably one of my most requested desserts. I love making them for others. They are pretty easy to make but do require some time in the fridge to settle. I have shared this recipe with many and it would appear that custard powder is not that easy to locate. While I don’t have any problems finding it locally here in Southern California, you can easily find the same brand I use on Custard Powder on Amazon
For coconut lovers, you can add a bit of shredded coconut to the base mixture for something a little different. And if you really love custard, you can double the ingredients for the filling.
Canadian Nanaimo BarsPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 5 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg(s), Beaten
- 2 Cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Custard Powder
- 2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 6 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
How to make this Recipe
- In a sauce pan, combine first 5 ingredients and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add graham cracker crumbs to the mixture and mix well. The batter should be thick at this point. Pack the mixture into a 9 inch square pan.
- Combine 1/4 cup butter, milk, 2 tsp vanilla and custard powder. Beat for 5 minutes. Blend in powdered sugar. Spread custard filling over the base and chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp butter stirring frequently. Spread the chocolate mixture over the custard filling.
- Let dish cool completely in the refrigerator before cutting into squares and serving.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.