This Classic Saucepan Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts recipe is fun to make because you get to make the batter in a saucepan before you bake it in the oven.
Why is it that everyone I know makes their chocolate brownies from a box? Sure it's fast and easy but how much fun is that?
I've posted several recipes in the past where you get to make brownies from scratch. My King Kong Brownies come to mind.
Unlike other brownie recipes, the batter for this brownie recipe is made in a saucepan. So when I said this recipe was old school, I wasn't kidding.
I realize some of you don't like nuts in your brownies (like my mom), but I found that chopped walnuts add a nice texture to these chocolate brownies.
If you are like my mom and don't care for nuts in your brownie, or are simply allergic to nuts, you can just leave them out.
You can also substitute the walnuts for almonds, pistachios, macadamia nuts, pecans or even peanuts.
My wife actually prefers chocolate chips in her brownies instead of nuts.
Make sure you let the chocolate mixture cool completely before you add the eggs or they will scramble!
Nut Allergy Warning
This recipe may contain peanuts or other nuts and seeds as one of its ingredients. Please take the appropriate precautions.
Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Classic Saucepan Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Unsalted Butter, Unsweetened Chocolate, White Sugar, Eggs, Vanilla Extract, All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder and Walnuts.
How to make Classic Saucepan Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate. Add sugar, mix well then let the mixture cool in the saucepan.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture in the saucepan. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix till well combined.
- Spread brownie mixture into a greased 8 x 8 pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
For more great recipes with Unsweetened Chocolate, I suggest you check these recipes out:
Brown Sugar Fudge Cake50 Minutes
Printable Recipe Card
Classic Saucepan Chocolate Brownies with Walnuts
- Baking Dish (8 x 8)
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Cup Walnuts, Chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate. Add sugar, mix well then let the mixture cool in saucepan.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture in the saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and mix till well combined.
- Spread brownie mixture into greased 8x8 pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.