I love a good chili but I especially love a good Chicken Chili and this Copycat recipe from the Cheesecake Factory sure doesn't disappoint!
The first thing I noticed when making this chili recipe was how similar it reminded me of a Chili Verde. Yes I realize Chili Verde I made with pork but if you look at all the ingredients for this recipe you will see the resemblance.
You can use whatever kind of white beans you have on hand. Personally I prefer Great Northern Beans for my chili but Navy Beans or Cannellini also work great with this chili recipe.
🌡️ How Hot Are the Peppers
The Scoville Scale is the measurement that tells you the spiciness of a given type of pepper.
|Pepper Type||Scoville Rating (Heat)|
|Tabasco & Cayenne||30,000-50,000|
🔥 How to Roast Poblano Peppers
Roasting Poblano Peppers might be a challenge for some especially if you've never done it before. But don't stress, I wrote an article on 3 different ways on How to Roast Poblano Peppers.
💭 Recipe Tip
After removing the chicken from the post from step #1, you may find you already have enough liquid to proceed to step #2. If this is the case there is no need to add more oil to the post before cooking the onions.
⭐ Copycat Rating
Since the goal of a Copycat Recipe is for it to taste exactly like the original, it's only natural to rate this recipe against the original. I've never had the Chili from the Cheesecake Factory but some close friends rates this chili a solid 7 out of 10.
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Copycat Chicken Chili recipe from the Cheesecake Factory (see recipe card for quantities): Canola Oil, Chicken Breasts, Ground Cumin, Chili Powder, Kosher Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Unsalted Butter, Yellow Onion, Garlic Cloves, Poblanos, All Purpose Flour, Chicken Broth, Salsa Verde, Chili Garlic Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, Dried Oregano, Brown Sugar, White Beans and Sour Cream.
You can optionally serve this chicken chili with: Flour Tortillas, Pico de Gallo and/or diced Green Onions.
🥣 How to make Cheesecake Factory Chicken Chili
MAKE THE CHICKEN
In a large pot, heat the canola oil.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken and the spices.
Add the chicken to the pot and cook until lightly brown.
Remove the chicken from the pot and set it aside.
MAKE THE CHILI
If needed, add the oil to the existing pot. Add the onions and cook until tender.
Add the minced garlic and the poblano chilies and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for another 2 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth a little at a time whisking constantly until smooth and no clumps of flour remain.
Add the salsa verde, chili garlic sauce, tabasco sauce, oregano, brown sugar and ground cumin. Let the mixture come back to a simmer.
Add the chicken and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Fold in the sour cream and the white beans.
Serve with warmed flour tortillas and optionally garnish with pico de gallo and green onions.
Copycat Cheesecake Factory Chicken Chili
- Large Pot
- ¼ Cup Canola Oil
- 4 Chicken Breasts, cubed
- 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Canola Oil
- ¾ Cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ Cup Poblano Pepper, roasted, seeded and diced
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoon Salsa Verde
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
- ¾ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¾ teaspoon Brown Sugar
- ¼ Ground Cumin
- 2 Cups White Beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoon Sour Cream
MAKE THE CHICKEN
- In a large pot, heat the canola oil.¼ Cup Canola Oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken and the spices.4 Chicken Breasts, 1 ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin, 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Powder, 1 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt, ¾ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook until lightly brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
MAKE THE CHILI
- If needed, add the oil to the existing pot. Add the onions and cook until tender.2 tablespoon Canola Oil, ¾ Cup Yellow Onion
- Add the minced garlic and the poblano chilies and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for another 2 minutes.1 tablespoon Garlic Cloves, ½ Cup Poblano Pepper, ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- Pour in the chicken broth a little at a time whisking constantly until smooth and no clumps of flour remain.1 Quart Chicken Broth
- Add the salsa verde, chili garlic sauce, tabasco sauce, oregano, brown sugar and ground cumin. Let the mixture come back to a simmer.2 tablespoon Salsa Verde, 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Garlic Sauce, 1 ½ teaspoon Tabasco Sauce, ¾ teaspoon Dried Oregano, ¾ teaspoon Brown Sugar, ¼ Ground Cumin
- Add the chicken and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Fold in the sour cream and the white beans.2 Cups White Beans, 3 tablespoon Sour Cream
- Serve with warmed flour tortillas and optionally garnish with pico de gallo and green onions.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.