I was craving some chili dogs and usually make my Copycat A&W Chili Dogs but this time I decided to try this Copycat Chili Dog Sauce recipe from Dairy Queen.
If you've never heard of Dairy Queen before they are a fast food chain founded in the 1940s. They are mostly known for their soft serve ice cream but also offer hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches, fries and other sides.
The ingredients needed for this hot dog chili sauce are pretty simple. The only item you might not have handy is the chili sauce.
There are many options when it comes to what kind of chili sauce to use, but I prefer to use Heinz Chili Sauce for this recipe. You don't want to use a sauce that is too sweet or too spicy or it will affect the overall flavor of the chili
I always recommend using lean ground beef to limit the amount of grease. Make sure you drain the grease from the skillet after adding the rest of the ingredients.
Dairy Queen usually adds a little shredded cheese over the chili when serving their chili cheese dogs but you can leave that ingredient out if you want. But nothing wrong with a little shredded cheddar cheese on your chili dog!
⭐ Copycat Rating
Since the goal of a Copycat Recipe is for it to taste exactly like the original, it's only natural to rate this recipe against the original. This Copycat recipe rates a solid 8 out of 10 in my opinion.
If you love making Copycat recipes from your favorite restaurants, make sure you check out my list of our Top Copycat Recipes.
For more great recipes made with Chili Sauce, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Copycat Chili Dog Sauce recipe from Dairy Queen (see recipe card for quantities): Lean Ground Beef, Yellow Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Tomato Juice, Chili Sauce, Chili Powder, Brown Sugar, BBQ Sauce, Salt, Pepper and optionally a thickening agent.
🥣 How to make Dairy Queen Chili Dog Sauce
In a large skillet, add the ground beef, diced onions, and green bell pepper and cook until browned. Drain any grease.
Add the tomato juice, chili sauce, chili powder, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce to the skillet. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Let the chili simmer until the desired consistency is reached, about 30 minutes. Optionally you can add a little cornmeal, cornstarch or flour to help achieve the desired thickness.
Spread some chili over your cooked hot dog and optionally top with some shredded cheddar cheese.
Copycat Dairy Queen Chili Dog Sauce
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
- ¼ Cup Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- ¼ Cup Green Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- 1 ¼ Cup Tomato Juice
- ½ Cup Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Thickening Agent (Optional)
- Yellow Cornmeal
- All Purpose Flour
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, add the ground beef, diced onions, and green bell pepper and cook until browned. Drain any grease.1 lb Lean Ground Beef, ¼ Cup Yellow Onion, ¼ Cup Green Bell Pepper
- Add the tomato juice, chili sauce, chili powder, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce to the skillet. Salt and Pepper to taste.1 ¼ Cup Tomato Juice, ½ Cup Chili Sauce, 1 tablespoon Chili Powder, 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar, 1 tablespoon BBQ Sauce, Salt and Pepper
- Let the chili simmer until the desired consistency is reached, about 30 minutes. Optionally you can add a little cornmeal, cornstarch or flour to help achieve the desired thickness.
- Spread some chili over your cooked hot dog and optionally top with some shredded cheddar cheese.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.