This Easy to make Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing recipe is perfect for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas!
This is the perfect time of year to make Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I picked up some really cool Halloween cookie cutters recently and I was dying to give them a shot.
If you bake often, you already know how easy it is to make sugar cookies. It almost always consists of sugar, flour, butter, eggs, vanilla and sometimes a couple of other ingredients.
This sugar cookie recipe is pretty simple to make but it does require the dough to be chilled for 3 to 4 hours before you can roll it out and cut your cookies. I’m just pointing this out so you can plan ahead. No instant gratification here!
I must warn you that I am not an expert baker. Decorating your cookies does require some skill. I recommend practicing before you decorate the final product.
So many factors come into play for achieving the perfect looking sugar cookie. The consistency of the Royal Icing, the piping, the flooding as well as the color of the icing. This is definately one of those practice makes perfect type of recipes.
How to Make these Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add beaten egg. Add remaining ingredients.
Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350F
Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
Cut the dough with your favorite cookie cutters.
Place cut cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are light-colored.
How to Make the Royal Icing
In a mixing bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes. You are looking for a consistency like honey or toothpaste.
How to Decorate your Sugar Cookies
This is the hard part of this recipe. You will want to divide your white royal icing into separate containers, one for each color you will be using. Add the necessary amount of food coloring to each bowl to achieve the desired color.
Use a #1 or #2 tip to outline each cookie with royal icing. Add a little bit of water to thin the icing out a bit. Fill the center of each cookie. Use a toothpick to smooth out any imperfections.
Easy Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg(s)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 1 lb Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Meringue Powder
- 6 Tbsp Water, Warm
- Food Coloring Paste, Optional
how to make this recipe
Make the Cookies
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add beaten egg. Add remaining ingredients.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut the dough with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Place cut cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are light-colored.
Make the Royal Icing
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients and mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- If desired, add food coloring to achieve the desired color while the icing is mixing.
- For flooding, add water a little at a time until you achieve the consistency of heavy cream.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.