So why am I making this Instant Pot Barley and Vegetable Risotto recipe? Well for a few reasons. I love making recipes in my Instant Pot.
The other reason is having recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I have to try and come up up with some healthier recipes.
I've used barley before in my Vegetable Barley Soup, but this was the first time I made it in my Instant Pot. Just like every other recipe you make in your Instant Pot, it's quick and easy.
The only difference with this recipe is that you need to use the Saute function before you close the lid to pressure cook.
💭 Instant Pot
What is an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is a combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer with a few other capabilities. With an Instant Pot, you can make recipes in minutes compared to hours the traditional way.
The Instant Pot comes with several safety features. If you happen to encounter a "burn" message on your IP, make sure you read this article about the burn message.
How to Clean
If you frequently use your Instant Pot, you've probably experienced a "smelly" lid. Here's a simple way to get rid of the smell.
Fill the Instant Pot with 2 Cups of White Vinegar. Seal the lid. Use the steam setting for 2 minutes. Remove the rubber ring from the lid and let dry completely before using it.
Buy Instant Pot
If you don't already have an Instant Pot, you can get one right off the Official Instant Pot Website.
For more delicious recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Instant Pot Barley and Vegetable Risotto: Olive Oil, Yellow Onion, Pearl Barley, Garlic Cloves, Vegetable Broth, White Mushrooms, Red Bell Pepper, Salt, Baby Spinach, Parmesan Cheese and Ground Black Pepper.
🥣 How to Make Instant Pot Barley and Vegetable Risotto
Press sauté, heat oil in instant pot. Add onion, cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Add barley and garlic. Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, mushrooms, bell pepper and salt, mix well.
Secure lid and move pressure release valve to sealing position. Press Manual, cook at high pressure 18 minutes.
When cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure.
Stir in spinach, let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Gently stir in cheese and black pepper.
Instant Pot Barley and Vegetable Risotto
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 small Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Pearl Barley, uncooked
- 2 cloves Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 ½ cups Vegetable Broth
- 8 oz White Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, Packed
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Press sauté, heat oil in instant pot. Add onion, cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Add barley and garlic. Cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in broth, mushrooms, bell pepper and salt, mix well.
- Secure lid and move pressure release valve to sealing position. Press Manual, cook at high pressure 18 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use natural release for 10 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Stir in spinach, let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Gently stir in cheese and black pepper.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.