One of my guilty pleasures is Orange Chicken from Panda Express. There's something about the way they make their orange chicken that makes it so addictive.
While this recipe is not an attempt to replicate Panda's recipe, I do like that this one is made in a Slow Cooker.
Since the chicken is sauteed before cooking them in the slow cooker, it won't require as much time in the slow cooker as you would think. All you need is about 3 hours to get this fabulous orange chicken on your plate!
🐓 How to Handle Raw Chicken
Leave the chicken in the fridge until ready to use.
Be careful of dripping juices. Clean up immediately.
Do not wash raw chicken (which prevents cross-contamination).
Wash all utensils and cutting boards (if applicable).
If marinating the chicken, make sure you toss the juices before you cook. Don't ever use the juice from the marinade.
Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
Now if you are expecting the chicken to be caramelized like it is at Panda Express, unfortunately, that is not going to happen.
You can get close if you saute the chicken with the remaining sauce in a hot pan once they are done in the slow cooker. Totally optional.
I usually like to eat my Orange Chicken with a side of white rice but feel free to use whatever side you want or none at all. The choice is up to you so go ahead and experiment and make this recipe your own!
Oh, and you can use Chicken Thighs if you prefer. I always have Chicken Breasts on hand so I tend to use that when I can.
Try to resist as much as possible the temptation to open the lid while it's cooking as the slow cooker loses heat. By just opening the lid to stir the contents can make the internal temperature drop by 10°F to 15°F.
Another great recipe very similar to this one is my Fantastic Slow Cooker Orange Chicken.
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Orange Chicken recipe in your Slow Cooker (see recipe card for quantities): Chicken Breasts, Cornstarch, Salt & Pepper, Vegetable Oil, Orange Marmalade, Low Sodium Soy Sauce, Rice Wine Vinegar, Sesame Oil, Garlic Cloves, Sesame Seeds and Green Onions.
🥣 How to make Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Place the chicken pieces in a bowl. Add the cornstarch and salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken in the cornstarch mixture.
Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. You may need to work in batches.
Coat a slow cooker with cooking spray and add the chicken to the slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and garlic.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and gently stir to coat.
Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- 1 ¼ lbs Chicken Breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¼ Cup Cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ¾ Cup Orange Marmalade
- ¼ Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Green Onions, diced
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl. Add the cornstarch and salt and pepper. Toss to coat the chicken in the cornstarch mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. You may need to work in batches.
- Coat a slow cooker with cooking spray and add the chicken to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange marmalade, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and garlic.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and gently stir to coat.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.