I don't often cook with fresh fennel so I was really excited to make this Tomato Fennel Soup for my wife.
Being a food blogger means you spend a considerable amount of time watching cooking shows. That also means she spends a lot of time watching cooking shows.
I find many of the shows inspiring and sometimes I learn a technique or two from the pros. While watching a couple of episodes of Amy Schumer learns to cook, I quickly realized that her husband Chris Fischer loves to use fennel in almost every one of his recipes.
🔪 How to cut Fennel
If you've never used fennel before it might a little intimidating the first time you use it. While the stalks and fronds are edible, they won't be used in this recipe.
With a knife, cut off the stalks. Cut the bulb in half then into quarters. Remove any outer parts that are wilted or bruised. Proceed to chop like you would an onion.
As with most soup recipes, this one is pretty straightforward. All the ingredients are easily accessible except maybe the fennel depending on the time of year or where you live.
If you love tomato soup and an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, make sure you check out my Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Tomato Fennel Soup recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Olive Oil, Fresh Fennel, Yellow Onion, Garlic Cloves, Whole Peeled Tomatoes, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Coarse Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
🥣 How to make Tomato Fennel Soup
In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the fennel, onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, salt & pepper, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat. Cover, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
Pour in approximately half of the soup mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
Serve warm with toppings if desired.
Tomato Fennel Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Fresh Fennel, chopped
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 28 oz Whole Peeled Tomatoes , undrained
- 1 ¾ Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¼ teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the fennel, onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken broth, salt & pepper, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat. Cover, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
- Pour in approximately half of the soup mixture into a blender. Blend until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
- Serve warm with toppings if desired.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
There is nothing like Tomato Fennel Soup. It is our favourite kind of soup. As often as I can I use fennel in my recipes as my husband just loves the taste of it. It was delicious.