I've always wanted to make Crunchy Mozzarella Sticks with those string cheese sticks that we pack in the kid's lunch bags. My wife challenged me to come up with a recipe to use up some Corn Flakes we had leftover in the pantry.
I initially thought about making some chicken tenders with them but decided to experiment a bit and make these Crunchy Mozzarella Sticks using corn flakes. Challenge accepted!
Obviously, this recipe is not hard to make. One of the steps I really recommend is letting the cheese sticks sit in the freezer for a good 45 minutes. This is an optional step but I think a very important one. It really changes the texture of the sticks.
I've only ever had mozzarella sticks plain or with a marinara sauce for dipping. My wife thinks ranch dressing might be good too but I'm not so sure about that. I will leave the dipping sauce up to each of you based on your preferences.
You are probably wondering how to crush the Corn Flakes. I recommend adding them to a zip-lock type bag and using a rolling pin or something similar to crush them. You should crush them to your desired consistency. This is what is great about these types of recipes you can make them your own.
If you don't have a dredge kit on hand you can always use a couple of shallow bowls for the egg wash and the crunchy topping.
💭 Deep Frying Oils
When it comes to Deep Frying food you want to choose an oil that has a high smoke point and neutral in flavor so it won't affect the flavor of whatever you are frying. Vegetable Oil, Corn Oil, Canola Oil and Peanut Oil are some of the more popular and affordable options.
💭 Serving Ideas
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Crunchy Mozzarella Sticks recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Mozzarella String Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Corn Flakes, Baking Powder, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, Egg and Salt & Pepper.
🥣 How to make Crunchy Mozzarella Sticks
In a small bowl, whisk the egg with salt and pepper.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Dip each piece of cheese into the egg mixture, and then roll in the Corn Flake mixture to coat. Repeat one more time to form a double coating on each cheese stick.
Place cheese sticks into a small rectangular dish and place it in the freezer for at least 45 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat about half an inch of oil over medium heat.
Fry cheese sticks until golden brown, about 60 to 90 seconds per side. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
Optionally serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Crunchy Mozzarella Sticks
- Deep Fryer
- 5 Mozzarella String Cheese, cut in half
- ½ Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 1 Cup Corn Flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Egg
- Corn Oil, for frying
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Marinara Sauce, for dipping
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Dip each piece of cheese into the egg mixture, and then roll in the corn flake mixture to coat. Repeat one more time to form a double coating on each cheese stick.
- Place cheese sticks into a small rectangular dish and place it in the freezer for at least 45 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat about half an inch of oil over medium heat.
- Fry cheese sticks until golden brown, about 60 to 90 seconds per side. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Optionally serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.