This Holiday Season I decided to make Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Cheese in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. No more waiting for the water to boil. Let the Instant Pot do all the work for you.
The process for making this mashed potato recipe is almost identical to the conventional way. You cook the potatoes, add some butter, milk and/or sour cream and mash away. The only difference with this recipe is how we are going to cook the potatoes.
The classic and most common way of making mashed potatoes requires you to bring some water to a boil in a large pot and cook the potatoes until tender, however long that takes. If you have an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker you simply add the quartered potatoes and water to the pot and cook for 10 minutes. Easy peasy.
As you would imagine, the bacon, cheese and green onion toppings are totally optional. I usually put each topping in a small bowl and let my guests add whatever topping they want to their mashed potatoes. Personally, I like mine with all the toppings just like how I prefer my baked potatoes.
💭 Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
The Instant Pot is a combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer with a few other capabilities. With an Instant Pot, you can make some recipes in minutes compared to hours the traditional way. While not always the case, it's a very handy appliance if you are always on the run.
The Instant Pot comes with several safety features. If you happen to encounter an error message on the display of your IP, I suggest you visit Instant Pot's Official Customer Care Center.
If you frequently use your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, you've probably experienced a "smelly" lid. Here's a simple way to get rid of the smell. Fill the Instant Pot with 2 Cups of White Vinegar. Seal the lid. Use the steam setting for 2 minutes. Remove the rubber ring from the lid and let dry completely before using it.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Bacon and Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (see recipe card for quantities): Russet Potatoes, Water, Kosher Salt, Milk, Sour Cream, Salted Butter, Ground Black Pepper, Green Onions, Cheddar Cheese and Bacon.
🥣 How to make Bacon and Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Place the quartered potatoes in the Instant Pot. Add water ensuring all potatoes are covered.
Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the Instant Pot. Cover and seal the lid. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release and check that the potatoes are soft. They are done when a fork can be easily inserted into the potato.
Drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot. Add the butter, sour cream, milk, 2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Mash with a potato masher or a fork. If the potatoes are too thick, add a little more milk until you reach the desired consistency.
Keep warm until ready to serve. Top with onions, cheese and bacon just before serving.
Instant Pot Bacon and Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 4 lbs Russet Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 Cups Water, or enough to cover potatoes
- 3 teaspoon Kosher Salt, divided
- ⅔ Cup Milk
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Salted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Green Onions, chopped
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Bacon, cooked & diced
- Place the quartered potatoes in the Instant Pot. Add water ensuring all potatoes are covered.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the Instant Pot. Cover and seal the lid. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release and check that the potatoes are soft. They are done when a fork can be easily inserted in the potato.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and return to the pot. Add the butter, sour cream, milk, 2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Mash with a potato masher or a fork. If the potatoes are too thick, add a little more milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. Top with onions, cheese and bacon just before serving.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.