I love Chili and my Instant Pot. So this Instant Pot Hearty Chicken Chili is perfect! If you are a chili fiend you will love this recipe
I love Chili and I love my Instant Pot pressure cooker. So this Instant Pot Hearty Chicken Chili is right up my alley. If you are a chili fiend like I am, you will love this recipe.
If you look at the list of ingredients you see Hominy Beans listed. I think hominy is seriously underrated. I've used hominy beans once before for my Mexican Black Bean and Hominy Salad. Since then I seem to use them more frequently. I have quite a few recipes that call for Hominy Beans and will post them over the next few months.
For more of my delicious Chili recipes, visit my collection of Chili Recipes. If you are looking for more recipes to make in your Instant Pot, simply check out my nice assortment of Instant Pot Recipes.
For one of my favorite chicken dishes, try my Chicken Tikka Masala recipe. An awesome chicken dish.
🐓 How to Handle Raw Chicken
1- Leave the chicken in the fridge until ready to use.
2- Be careful of dripping juices. Clean up immediately.
3- Do not wash raw chicken (prevents cross-contamination).
4- Wash all utensils and cutting board (if applicable).
5- If marinating the chicken, make sure you toss the juices before you cook. Don't ever use the juice from the marinade.
6- Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
🌶 How to Handle Hot Peppers
The capsaicin in hot peppers is what makes peppers hot. If you handle hot peppers gloveless, it’s a guarantee that you’re in for a nasty case of chili burn, both on your fingers and anywhere you rub. Like your face. Ouch!
Even if you wear disposable gloves, be careful about what you touch. The gloves are going to protect your fingers, but touching any part of your body with the gloves after you’ve handled hot peppers can lead to severe chili burn. Resist the temptation to rub your eyes. Wait until you’ve removed your gloves and washed your hands thoroughly with soap.
The Instant Pot comes with several safety features. If you happen to encounter a "burn" message on your IP, make sure you read this article about the burn message.
If you don't already have an Instant Pot, you can get one right off their Official Website.
I also recommend you try my other chili recipe you can make in your Instant Pot - White Bean & Chicken Chili. For more great recipes you can make in your Instant Pot, check out my nice collection Instant Pot Recipes.
What Ingredients do I need to make this Chili?
You will need the following ingredients to make this chili in your Instant Pot: Vegetable Oil, Yellow Onion, Jalapeño, Garlic Cloves, Chili Powder, Salt, Ground Cumin, Dried Oregano, Ground Black Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces, Mexican Hominy and Pinto Beans. Optional: All Purpose Flour, Fresh Cilantro, Lime Wedges.
How to Make this Instant Pot Hearty Chicken Chili
Press Sauté and heat oil in Instant Pot. Add onion, cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened. Add jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in broth, cook 1 minute. Add chicken, hominy and beans. Mix well.
Secure lid and move pressure release valve to sealing position. Press manual; cook at high pressure 6 minutes.
When cooking is complete, use a natural pressure release (NPR) for 10 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
Instant Pot Hearty Chicken Chili
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeño(s), minced
- 1 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 30 oz Mexican Hominy, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
- Lime wedges, Quartered
how to make this recipe
- Press Sauté and heat oil in Instant Pot. Add onion, cook and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add jalapeño, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir 30 seconds. Stir in broth, cook 1 minute. Add chicken, hominy and beans. Mix well.
- Secure lid and move pressure release valve to sealing position. Press manual; cook on high pressure 6 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use natural release for 10 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- For a thicker chili, stir 1 tablespoon flour into 3 tablespoons of the cooking liquid in small bowl until smooth. Press sauté; add flour mixture to chili. Cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with Cilantro and Lime wedges.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.