These Irish Potato Cakes are the perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. A few spices and a couple of minutes in the frying pan and you have a delicious appetizer.
If you don't have any leftover mashed potatoes and want to make these potato cakes you can make mashed potatoes using fresh potatoes or the boxed variety. Both will give you similar results.
The spices I have listed on the recipe card are my preferred Irish inspired seasonings for these potato cakes but feel free to tweak them as you see fit.
I have a feeling these would be pretty good with a little garlic powder and onion powder. I might have to try that one of these days when I have some leftover mashed potatoes I need to use up.
While you can use cooking spray instead of butter when it comes time to fry these potato cakes up just keep in mind that it will alter the final flavor a bit. I prefer to use butter when making this yummy recipe.
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Irish Potato Cake recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Mashed Potatoes, All Purpose Flour, Milk, Dried Parsley Flakes, Dried Rosemary, Ground Thyme, Salt, Pepper and Unsalted Butter.
🥣 How to make Irish Potato Cakes
In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, all purpose flour, milk and spices. Knead until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Divide into 4 balls on a floured surface and flatten each into a patty.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Season with salt.
Irish Potato Cakes
- Bowl for Mixing
- 2 Cups Mashed Potatoes
- ⅓ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Milk
- ½ teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Ground Thyme
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, all purpose flour, milk and spices. Knead until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide into 4 balls on a floured surface and flatten each into a patty.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side, adding more butter to the pan as needed. Season with salt.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.