Marg’s Chicken Divan recipe originally came to me from my Mom’s best friend Marg. Her recipe was so good it inspired me to make a few small tweaks like adding bacon (because as you know, everything tastes better with bacon) and a few other items from her original recipe.
Don't you just love taking an already delicious recipe and make some changes to it and call it your own? I know I do. Which is what I did with this chicken divan recipe.
This is just one of those old comfort food type recipes. Nothing fancy about this one but a flavorful dish that you will enjoy year-round. I mean, how can you go wrong with chicken, bacon, and cheese?
By the way, if you like this recipe from my friend Marg, you have to check out Marg's Classic Fudge recipe. Yummy classic fudge!
🐓 How to Handle Raw Chicken
Leave the chicken in the fridge until ready to use.
Be careful of dripping juices. Clean up immediately.
Do not wash raw chicken (which prevents cross-contamination).
Wash all utensils and cutting boards (if applicable).
If marinating the chicken, make sure you toss the juices before you cook. Don't ever use the juice from the marinade.
Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
🥓 How to Make Bacon
If you struggle to make bacon perfectly, I've put together a short tutorial on How to Make Perfect Bacon - 3 Ways. Check it out! My preferred method is baking it in the oven.
And don't throw away that bacon grease! Bacon is expensive and the grease is great for making Scrambled Eggs, Grilled Cheese, Popcorn and even hash browns. It can keep up to 3 months if properly stored in the refrigerator.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this delicious Chicken Divan recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Chicken, Broccoli, Carrots, Cream of Chicken Soup, Green Bell Pepper, Green Onions, Milk, Garlic Powder, Dried Oregano, Thyme, Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, Bread Crumbs and Butter.
🥣 How to Make Marg's Chicken Divan
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a shallow casserole dish, line the bottom with the chopped broccoli, carrots and peppers. Spread cooked chicken evenly over vegetables.
In a mixing bowl, mix milk, cream of chicken, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over chicken.
Spread crumbled bacon, onions, and cheese over chicken. Coat everything with bread crumbs. Finally, pour melted butter over bread crumbs.
Cook for 45 minutes. Broil 1 extra minute to brown the topping.
Marg's Chicken Divan
- 4 Cups Chicken Breasts, Cooked & Cubed
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets, Chopped
- 1 Cup Carrots, Chopped
- 1 Can Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- ½ Cup Green Onions, Chopped
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Ground Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Bacon, Cooked & Crumbled
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a shallow casserole dish, line the bottom with the chopped broccoli, carrots and peppers. Spread cooked chicken evenly over vegetables.
- In a mixing bowl, mix milk, cream of chicken, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Spread crumbled bacon, onions and cheese over chicken. Coat everything with bread crumbs. Finally pour melted butter over bread crumbs.
- Cook for 45 minutes. Broil 1 extra minute to brown topping.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.