So when it comes to biscuits, I think these Copycat KFC Biscuits are my favorite. Buttery, flaky and golden brown just like a biscuit should be. And there's nothing like making your favorite restaurant recipe in the comfort of your own home.
As with most biscuit recipes, this KFC Biscuit recipe only calls for the simplest of ingredients. With the exception of the shortening, you should have everything else on hand if you cook or bake on a regular basis.
You also need to be mindful that this biscuit recipe calls for 2 different types of shortening, one being butter flavored. It's important not to omit or substitute the butter-flavored shortening to ensure the biscuits taste like they should, flaky and buttery!
⭐ Copycat Rating
Since the goal of a Copycat Recipe is for it to taste exactly like the original, it's only natural to rate this recipe against the original. This Copycat recipe rates a solid 10 out of 10 in my opinion.
🥛 Buttermilk Substitution
If you don't have Buttermilk on hand, you can use this trick as a substitute: Add one tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring cup. Add milk and fill to the 1 cup measurement line. Stir the mixture together and let sit for 5 minutes.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Copycat Biscuits recipe from KFC (see recipe card for quantities): All Purpose Flour, Salt, White Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Vegetable Shortening, Butter Flavored Vegetable Shortening, Buttermilk, Milk and Butter.
🥣 How to make KFC Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in both shortenings until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk until a soft sticky dough forms.
Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until no longer sticky. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into an 8-inch circle approximately ½-inch thick.
Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the tops of the biscuits with milk.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately brush the biscuits with butter after baking.
Copycat KFC Biscuits
- Baking Sheet
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon White Sugar
- 4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Shortening
- 4 teaspoon Butter Flavored Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- Unsalted Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all purpose flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Cut in both shortenings until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the buttermilk until a soft sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until no longer sticky. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into an 8-inch circle approximately ½-inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place cut biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops of the biscuits with milk.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately brush biscuits with butter after baking.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.