This Greek Chicken and Pita Casserole is packed full of flavor and reasonably healthy as well. Quick prep time so perfect for busy weeknights.
One of my favorite casseroles to make for my family is this Greek Chicken and Pita Casserole. Very easy to make and only 20 minutes in the oven.
This casserole uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen with the exception of the Greek Seasoning. If you don't have any on-hand, you can make your own by combining 2 tsp oregano, 1 ½ tsp onion powder, 1 ½ tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried parsley flakes, 1 tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, and ½ tsp ground nutmeg.
If you don't use Zucchini very often you are probably asking yourself if you need to peel them or not before eating. Nope. Most of the nutrients are in the skin. If the thought of eating the skin doesn't sound appealing to you, be my guest and take it off. Just make sure you wash them before eating if you are going to keep the skin on!
💭 What are Kalamata Olives
A key ingredient in this dish is the Greek Olives, more commonly known as Kalamata Olives. These Greek olives are only grown in Greece near the town of Kalamata (hence their name) so they can be a little pricey. Kalamata Olives are high in sodium, healthy fats and contain a natural antioxidant. They are also particularly high in iron and vitamin A.
Since these olives have a rather unique flavor profile, finding a substitute can next to impossible. Probably the closest would be French Black Olives or Gaeta Olives but if you can't find those either you can use regular California Black Olives but the dish will not be as good Kalamata Olives.
An alternative to using chicken broth is Better Than Bouillon. I often use it when I don't have broth on-hand.
⭐ Did you make this Recipe
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Greek Chicken and Pita Casserole: Chicken, Zucchini, Cream of Chicken Soup, Red Onion, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Greek Seasoning, Garlic Cloves, Pita Rounds, Roma Tomatoes, Feta Cheese and Greek Kalamata Olives.
🥣 How to make Greek Chicken and Pita Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, zucchini, cream of chicken soup, onion, chicken broth, 1 tsp of the greek seasoning, and garlic. Transfer the mixture to an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
Coat the pita wedges with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp greek seasoning (or more to taste). Place the pita wedges, tomatoes, cheese and kalamata olives on top of chicken mixture. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until heated through.
🍳 Recipe Card
Greek Chicken and Pita Casserole
- 4 Cups Chicken, cooked & chopped
- 3 medium Zucchini, ½ inch pieces
- 10.75 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 medium Red Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 ½ Tsp Greek Seasoning
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Pita Rounds, cut into bite size wedges
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- ½ Cup Greek Kalamata Olives, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, zucchini, cream of chicken soup, onion, chicken broth, 1 tsp of the greek seasoning, and garlic. Transfer the mixture to an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Coat the pita wedges with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining ½ tsp greek seasoning (or more to taste). Place the pita wedges, tomatoes, cheese and kalamata olives on top of chicken mixture. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.