This Apricot Chicken dish is easily made in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker. This recipe is a must for those of you that own a Pressure cooker like the Instant Pot.
I don't recall where I first saw this recipe but I've made it a few times now and my wife keeps asking me when I am going to make it again for her. Yes it's that good!
I make Chicken in my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker at least once a week. Sometimes I just use a little salsa and shred the chicken for tacos. Other times I make something a little more involved like my Instant Pot Lemon Rosemary Chicken & Potatoes dish.
This is the first time though that I add dried fruit to a chicken recipe in my Instant Pot. I wasn't worried about how it would taste when all is said and done. I was more curious about what the dried apricots would be like after being pressure cooked.
Well it turns out the dried apricots just get much softer. I like to chop the apricots into bite-size pieces before adding them to the pot but you can leave them as-is if you want. It won't change the overall flavor of this chicken dish.
🐓 How to Handle Raw Chicken
Leave the chicken in the fridge until ready to use.
Be careful of dripping juices. Clean up immediately.
Do not wash raw chicken (prevents cross-contamination).
Wash all utensils and cutting board (if applicable).
If marinating the chicken, make sure you toss the juices before you cook. Don't ever use the juice from the marinade.
Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
While we like to serve the chicken with a side of pasta, you can also serve it on a bed of rice or all by itself. Some nice fresh vegetables would pair very well with this dish too.
💭 Instant Pot
What is an Instant Pot
The Instant Pot is a combination pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer with a few other capabilities. With an Instant Pot, you can make recipes in minutes compared to hours the traditional way.
The Instant Pot comes with several safety features. If you happen to encounter a "burn" message on your IP, make sure you read this article about the burn message.
How to Clean
If you frequently use your Instant Pot, you've probably experienced a "smelly" lid. Here's a simple way to get rid of the smell.
Fill the Instant Pot with 2 Cups of White Vinegar. Seal the lid. Use the steam setting for 2 minutes. Remove the rubber ring from the lid and let dry completely before using it.
Buy Instant Pot
If you don't already have an Instant Pot, you can get one right off the Official Instant Pot Website.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Apricot Chicken in your Instant Pot: Chicken Breasts, Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Vegetable Oil, Yellow Onion, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Fresh Ginger, Garlic Cloves, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Allspice, Diced Tomatoes, Dried Apricots, Saffron and Fresh Italian Parsley.
🥣 How to make Apricot Chicken
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
Add the oil to the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until the chicken has browned. Remove from the Instant Pot and set aside.
Add the onion and approximately 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth to the pot. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the ginger, garlic, ground cinnamon and allspice. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Stir in the tomatoes, apricots, the remaining broth and mix well. Return the chicken to the pot. Press down on the chicken to ensure it is covered in the liquid.
Secure the lid on the Instant pot and cook at high pressure for 11 minutes.
When cooking is complete do a quick release. Remove the chicken from the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Optionally garnish with parsley.
Instant Pot Apricot Chicken
- 2 ½ lbs Chicken Breasts
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Large Yellow Onion, chopped
- ½ Cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 14 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 6 oz Dried Apricots, chopped
- Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot and press the Sauté button. Once oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes or until the chicken has browned on both sides. Remove from the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and approximately 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth to the pot. Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger, garlic, cinnamon and allspice. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes, apricots, the remaining broth and mix well. Return the chicken to the pot. Press down on the chicken to ensure it is covered in the liquid.
- Secure lid on the Instant pot and cook at high pressure for 11 minutes.
- When cooking is complete do a quick release. Remove the chicken from the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste. Optionally garnish with parsley.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.