I don't use my Instant Pot very often to make soup and to be honest, I'm not sure why. In any case, here is my Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup recipe.
I love eating Chicken Fajitas. My wife loves soup (and chicken fajitas) so making this Chicken Fajita Soup in my Instant Pot was seriously a no-brainer.
So I'm guessing you are wondering if this Chicken Fajita Soup tastes like the traditional Chicken Fajitas you would find in Mexican restaurants. Well, kind of. Thanks mostly to the seasonings.
I will point out that this soup is not very spicy. It does have a bit of a zing to it thanks to the red pepper flakes but I would rate the spiciness a 1 on a scale of 10.
🌶 How to Handle Hot Peppers
The capsaicin in hot peppers is what makes peppers hot. If you handle hot peppers gloveless, it’s a guarantee that you’re in for a nasty case of chili burn, both on your fingers and anywhere you rub. Like your face. Ouch!
Even if you wear disposable gloves, be careful about what you touch. The gloves are going to protect your fingers, but touching any part of your body with the gloves after you’ve handled hot peppers can lead to severe chili burn.
Resist the temptation to rub your eyes. Wait until you’ve removed your gloves and washed your hands thoroughly with soap.
🌡️ How Hot Are the Peppers
The Scoville Scale is the measurement that tells you the spiciness of a given type of pepper.
|Pepper Type||Scoville Rating (Heat)|
|Tabasco & Cayenne||30,000-50,000|
💭 Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
If you have any questions about your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker, I suggest you visit Instant Pot's Official Customer Care Center.
An alternative to using chicken broth is Better Than Bouillon. I often use it when I don't have broth on hand.
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this Chicken Fajita Soup recipe in your Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (see recipe card for quantities): Chicken, Olive Oil, Yellow Onion, Jalapeños, Garlic Cloves, Red Bell Pepper, Green Bell Pepper, Diced Tomatoes, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Lemon Juice, Sour Cream, Green Onions, Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander, Salt and Red Pepper Flakes.
🥣 How to Make this Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
Start the Instant Pot in saute mode. Add oil, onions, garlic, jalapenos and bell peppers. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, broth and spices. Mix well. Scrape anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
Place chicken pieces in a single layer and gently press them under the liquid. Press Cancel and close lid with the vent in the sealing position.
Cook on Manual at high pressure for 12 mins. Do a 10-minute natural pressure release then quick release.
Remove chicken pieces and shred them. Put the shredded chicken back in the pot.
Add the lemon juice and sour cream. Stir continuously as soon as you add the sour cream, so it does not curdle.
Garnish with green onions, sour cream and/or tortilla strips.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
- 1 lb Chicken, Cubed
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Fresh Jalapeño, Diced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper, Diced
- 1 cup Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 14 oz Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 Green Onions, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Start the pressure cooker in saute mode. Add oil, onions, garlic, jalapenos and bell peppers. Stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth and spices. Mix well. Scrape anything stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Place chicken pieces in a single layer and gently press them under the liquid. Press Cancel and close lid with the vent in the sealing position.
- Pressure Cook mode at high pressure for 12 mins. Do a 10-minute natural pressure release then quick release.
- Remove chicken pieces and shred them. Put the shredded chicken back in pot.
- Add the lemon juice and sour cream. Stir continuously as soon as you add the sour cream, so it does not curdle.
- Garnish with green onions, sour cream and/or tortilla strips.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.