Growing up, Mom’s Old Fashioned Butter Tarts were a family favorite. You used to be able to find them at most local grocery stores but not so much these days.
I think it's because these tarts are basically made of butter and sugar that you can’t easily find them in grocery stores anymore. But we are in luck because my mom still had her recipe handy so we can make the delicious tarts in the comfort of our own kitchen!
Many people have asked me what they taste like. Well, it's kind of hard to describe. I guess I would say a sugary, sweet type tart. I can personally tell you that it will be impossible for you to eat just one!
You can make these butter tarts with or without raisins. Since my wife doesn't care much for raisins, I usually make them without raisins. If you want to make your butter tarts with raisins simply add a handful of raisins after step 7 below.
What many of you may not realize is that this dessert originated in the Canadian prairies many decades ago. There are many old family recipes for butter tarts out there but this is about as authentic as it gets.
While you are here I suggest you check out all my other delicious Canadian Recipes. Some of the recipes are new while others are well over 50 years old but they all originated in Canada.
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need these ingredients to make these Old Fashioned Butter Tarts: All Purpose Flour, Salt, Unsalted Butter, White Sugar, Water, Light Brown Sugar, Corn Syrup, Eggs and Vanilla Extract.
🥣 How to Make Old Fashioned Butter Tarts
In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt, and sugar together.
Using pastry blender cut butter into the flour mix until resembles a coarse meal. Add cold water a bit at a time until the dough just starts to hold together.
Press dough together and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Roll our tart dough and cut 4-inch circles. Press dough in greased muffin cups trying not to stretch the dough too much.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Stir until the butter is creamed and sugar is dissolved.
Add eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mix well.
Fill tart shells with the filling. Each tart should hold about 1 Tablespoon of filling, Be careful not to overfill!
Bake for 15-20 minutes. The filling should be lightly browned and still bubbling.
Let tarts cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Mom's Old Fashioned Butter Tarts
TART SHELL INGREDIENTS
- 2 ⅔ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, Chilled & Cubed
- ¼ Cup White Sugar
- ½ Cup Chilled Water
BUTTER FILLING INGREDIENTS
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- ½ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Corn Syrup
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ Tsp Salt
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Using pastry blender cut butter into flour mix until resembles course meal. Add cold water a bit at a time until dough just starts to hold together.
- Press dough together and shape into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll our tart dough and cut 4-inch circles. Press dough in greased muffin cups trying not to stretch the dough too much.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Stir until butter is creamed and sugar is dissolved.
- Add eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix well.
- Fill tart shells with filling. Each tart should hold about 1 Tablespoon of filling, Be careful not to overfill!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Filling should be lightly browned and still bubbling.
- Let tarts cool in pan for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.