Please note that I made this White Bean and Chicken Chili using my Instant Pot. I was running late and the only way I could get the Chili done in time was to use my pressure cooker. This recipe can easily be adapted for stovetop – see my notes below.
- 1 lbs Dried Great Northern Beans
- 1 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Can Green Chilies
- 6 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast, Diced
- 3 Tbsp Butter
How to make this Recipe
- Using the saute feature of your Instant Pot, cook onions and garlic in butter until tender. Make a rue by adding flour and seasonings and mixing well.
- Stir in chicken broth, beans and chilies. Add chicken and cook on the bean/chili setting for 45 minutes. Let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes, then quick release. Remove top and mix well. Let sit for about 10 minutes until it thickens.
- In a large pot, cook onions and garlic in butter until tender. Make a rue by adding flour and seasonings and mixing well.
- Stir in chicken broth, PREPARED beans and chilies. Add chicken and cover. Let cook on medium-low heat for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes will it thickens.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.