This is a superb Sugar Free Chocolate Banana Bread recipe for those of you that LOVE banana bread but also need to watch your sugars.
💭 Why Sugar-Free
Having been recently diagnosed with Diabetes, I was on a quest to find recipes that would fit my new "lifestyle". It's amazing how many recipes, especially when baking, use sugar. I mean I know how much since I write the recipes, but now that I have to really pay attention to the sugars in my recipes, I have little choice but to start exploring sugar alternatives when I bake.
🍌 Why Banana Bread
If you visit this food blog regularly you know I love Banana Bread. I've made classic Banana Bread, Butterscotch Banana Bread, and fruit-filled Banana Bread and even Coconut Banana Bead. But I've never made Chocolate Banana bread and certainly never made sugar free chocolate banana bread.
💭 What does it taste like
It tastes exactly as you would expect. Chocolate and Banana. You can't tell that I used Splenda instead of regular granulated sugar. At least my wife and I couldn't tell. Leave me a comment below if you have thoughts about using Splenda vs. regular sugar.
🍌 How to pick the right Bananas
The best bananas for banana bread are when they are overripe, not yellow but black. Or they're at least streaked with black/brown. The darker the better. If you can't find overripe bananas, you can speed up the process by putting the bananas in a paper bag along with an apple and loosely fold down the top. The bananas should ripen in just a day or two using this method.
If you want to know more about the origins of Banana Bread check out this article.
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this bread recipe: All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Splenda, Unsalted Butter, Milk, Eggs, Vanilla Extract and Bananas.
🥣 How to Make Sugar Free Chocolate Banana Bread
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the unsweetened cocoa and mix well.
In another bowl, cream together the Splenda and butter. Add the vanilla extract and milk. Combine the creamed butter and the flour mixture and gently stir.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slightly. Fold in the mashed bananas.
Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
🍳 Recipe Card
Sugar Free Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1 ½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Cup Splenda Granulated Sweetener
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 2 Egg(s)
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
- Preheat your oven to 325F. Grease a loaf pan with your favorite spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the unsweetened cocoa and mix well.
- In another bowl, cream together the splenda and butter. Add vanilla extract and milk.
- Add the creamed butter to the flour mixture and gently stir. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing slightly. Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for about 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.