Now that it's November, my wife expects me to make as many recipes with Pumpkin. I have tons on polenta is my pantry so I decided to make this Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans dish.
The original recipe comes from our friend Rachael Ray but I took a few liberties along the way. Nothing major that would alter the awesome flavor of Rachael's dish.
Not only is this a beautiful dish, but it also tastes great! You can definitely taste the pumpkin in the polenta but it is not overpowering like you would expect given the color. A perfect balance in my opinion.
The Chorizo and Black Bean mixture pairs perfectly with the pumpkin polenta. You can use mild or spicy Chorizo based on your preference. I also used a little less red pepper and onion than Rachael called for in her original recipe. Again my personal preference. I would suggest you experiment a bit as I did!
An alternative to using chicken broth is Better Than Bouillon. I often use it when I don't have broth on-hand.
Never heard of Polenta and curious what it is? It's basically boiled cornmeal which is ground yellow or white dried corn. Polenta is a good choice if you are looking to lose weight as it is really low in carbs. If you are really interested in its health benefits, I would suggest this wonderful article on health benefits of Polenta.
For another great Polenta dish, make sure you try my Creamy Polenta with Parmigiano-Reggiano. A healthier side dish than Mashed Potatoes. For a delicious chorizo based chili, you MUST try my Spicy Chorizo and Bean Chili. One of my favorites!
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans recipe: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Chorizo, Yellow Onion, Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Unsalted Butter, Pumpkin Puree, Polenta, Fresh Thyme, chopped, Salt & Pepper, Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
🥣 How to make Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans
In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat the olive oil and the chorizo. Cook for a minute or two.
Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the black beans and red bell peppers and cook for another minute or two.
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil. Stir in the pumpkin puree. Add the polenta and stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the thyme, salt, pepper and cheese.
Spoon the polenta onto serving dishes. Top with the chorizo mixture.
Optionally garnish with parsley.
🍳 Recipe Card
Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb Chorizo, casing removed, chopped
- 1 Med Yellow Onion, chopped
- 15 oz Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, roasted & chopped
- 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Cup Polenta
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- ¼ cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat the olive oil and the chorizo. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the black beans and red bell peppers and cook for another minute or two.
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil. Stir in the pumpkin puree. Add the polenta and stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the thyme, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Spoon the polenta onto serving dishes. Top with the chorizo mixture.
- Optionally garnish with parsley.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.