Now that it's November, my wife expects me to make as many recipes with Pumpkin. I have tons on polenta is my pantry so I decided to make this Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans dish.
The original recipe comes from our friend Rachael Ray but I took a few liberties along the way. Nothing major that would alter the awesome flavor of Rachael's dish.
Not only is this a beautiful dish, but it also tastes great! You can definitely taste the pumpkin in the polenta but it is not overpowering like you would expect given the color. A perfect balance in my opinion.
The Chorizo and Black Bean mixture pairs perfectly with the pumpkin polenta. You can use mild or spicy Chorizo based on your preference. I also used a little less red pepper and onion than Rachael called for in her original recipe. Again my personal preference. I would suggest you experiment a bit as I did!
An alternative to using chicken broth is Better Than Bouillon. I often use it when I don't have broth on-hand.
Never heard of Polenta and curious what it is? It's basically boiled cornmeal which is ground yellow or white dried corn. Polenta is a good choice if you are looking to lose weight as it is really low in carbs. If you are really interested in its health benefits, I would suggest this wonderful article on health benefits of Polenta.
For another great Polenta dish, make sure you try my Creamy Polenta with Parmigiano-Reggiano. A healthier side dish than Mashed Potatoes. For a delicious chorizo based chili, you MUST try my Spicy Chorizo and Bean Chili. One of my favorites!
For more great recipes like this one, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans recipe: Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Chorizo, Yellow Onion, Black Beans, Red Bell Pepper, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Unsalted Butter, Pumpkin Puree, Polenta, Fresh Thyme, chopped, Salt & Pepper, Sharp Cheddar Cheese.
🥣 How to make Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans
In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat the olive oil and the chorizo. Cook for a minute or two.
Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the black beans and red bell peppers and cook for another minute or two.
In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil. Stir in the pumpkin puree. Add the polenta and stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the thyme, salt, pepper and cheese.
Spoon the polenta onto serving dishes. Top with the chorizo mixture.
Optionally garnish with parsley.
Pumpkin Polenta with Chorizo & Black Beans
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 lb Chorizo, casing removed, chopped
- 1 Med Yellow Onion, chopped
- 15 oz Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Large Red Bell Pepper, roasted & chopped
- 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 2 Cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Cup Polenta
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
- 1 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- ¼ cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat the olive oil and the chorizo. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the black beans and red bell peppers and cook for another minute or two.
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock and butter to a boil. Stir in the pumpkin puree. Add the polenta and stir until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the thyme, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Spoon the polenta onto serving dishes. Top with the chorizo mixture.
- Optionally garnish with parsley.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.