This Country Captain Casserole recipe has been around for years. Not sure of its origins or how they came up with the name for this recipe. But I finally decided to make it, with a few tweaks, and I was surprised at how good it was.
There’s tons of flavor in this casserole thanks to the apple, curry, and raisins. If you like curry, then I would suggest you give this one a try.
💭 Recipe Tip
Don't you hate it when raisins get stuck together in a big clump? To unstick the raisins, wet your hands with a little water then work the raisins apart.
An alternative to using chicken broth is Better Than Bouillon. I often use it when I don't have broth on hand.
Now while the Country Captain Casserole recipe below has you cook the chicken ahead of time, you could easily use pre-cooked chicken (like you would find at Costco). You just won’t need to do step 1.
🐓 How to Handle Raw Chicken
Leave the chicken in the fridge until ready to use.
Be careful of dripping juices. Clean up immediately.
Do not wash raw chicken (which prevents cross-contamination).
Wash all utensils and cutting boards (if applicable).
If marinating the chicken, make sure you toss the juices before you cook. Don't ever use the juice from the marinade.
Wash your hands after handling raw chicken.
I've made this recipe both ways and it always turns out great. You can serve this dish on a bed of white rice like we did this time, or alone, on noodles or even use it in a Burrito! It doesn't really matter how you enjoy this recipe, the flavor is just awesome.
For more great recipes with Apples, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Country Captain Casserole recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Olive oil, Chicken, Olive Oil, Yellow Onion, Granny Smith Apple, Green Bell Pepper, Garlic Cloves, Fresh Ginger, Curry Powder, Ground Black Pepper, Ground Cumin, Tomato Puree, Low Sodium Chicken Broth, Raisins, Salt and Fresh Parsley.
🥣 How to make Country Captain Casserole
In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add chicken and cook until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. In the same Dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, apple, green pepper, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in curry powder, black pepper, and cumin. Cook 1 minute. Add tomato puree, broth, raisins, salt, and chicken. Heat to boiling over high heat. Boil 1 minute.
Cover and place in oven. Bake 1 hour. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Country Captain Casserole
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 ½ lbs Chicken, cubed
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, cored and chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, grated
- 3 tablespoon Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 28 oz Tomato Puree
- 14 ½ oz Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ Cup Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoon of oil over medium high heat until very hot. Add chicken and cook until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In same Dutch oven, heat 1 teaspoon of oil over medium high heat. Add onions, apple, green pepper, garlic, and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in curry powder, black pepper, and cumin. Cook 1 minute. Add tomato puree, broth, raisins, salt, and chicken. Heat to boiling over high heat. Boil 1 minute.
- Cover and place in oven. Bake 1 hour. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
My son loves chicken so I decided to make this recipe. This was a great hit especially since he is a picky eater. Very tasty and flavourful.