This Red Velvet Cake is perfect for Memorial Day, July 4th or any other patriotic Holiday. And it tastes as good as it looks! We added some of our cream cheese frosting along with some fresh strawberries and blueberries for the Red, White and Blue look.
For this recipe, we decided to make the red velvet cake from scratch. But if you are in a hurry or just plain lazy, you can substitute that part by making one from a box. Doing so will not affect the final look of this patriotic cake. Props to @livewellbakeoften for the red velvet cake recipe!
One of my wife’s favorite holidays growing up was the 4th of July. Her family did a big block party and it was almost always about the food. Growing up you don’t always understand or appreciate the effort that goes into something like that. As adults, we love food, we socialize around food and in this day and age, it’s always about the decor. Whether it be for a birthday, holiday party or a family bbq, this cake is super easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of “decorating skills”. So if you’re heading to a Memorial Day party, a 4th of July or just want to show your patriotism this summer, this is the cake for you. This cake is fluffy and tastes yummy with a hint of cocoa flavor.
For another festive cake, make sure you check out my White Cake with Cookie Butter filling.
Patriotic Red Velvet CakePrint Pin Rate
- 2 2/3 Cups Cake Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 Cups granulated sugar
- 2 Large Egg(s), room temperature
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 oz liquid red food color
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1 1/3 Cups Buttermilk, room temperature
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 Large Strawberries, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Blueberries
How to make this Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch cake pans well with nonstick cooking spray, line the bottoms of the pans with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Then sift the dry ingredients to remove any lumps of cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl , cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for 4-5 minutes. Add the eggs and mix until fully combined. Add the oil, red food coloring, vanilla extract, and vinegar. Mix until well combined
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combine. DO NOT OVER MIX THE BATTER.
- Poor the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Tap the pans on the counter 2-3 times to remove any air bubbles from the cake batter.
- Bake for 28 to 32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Carefully remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Let the cake to cool in the pans for 15-20 minutes. Carefully remove the cakes from the cake pans and place on the wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, use a serrated knife to cut each cake in half horizontally. This will give you 4 cake layers.
- Pipe the cream cheese frosting between each layer to create a 4 layer cake. Frost the top of the cake using your favorite piping tips. Decorate with fresh strawberries and blueberries to your taste.
Any nutritional information provided on this site is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with your nutritionist.