Tacos make a regular appearance in my house. Egg Tacos for Breakfast. Chicken Street Tacos for lunch or Carnitas Tacos for dinner. Maybe it's living in Southern California that has that effect on us but we could eat tacos every day if we could. But these Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos are Da Bomb!
I've had dozen of different kinds of tacos over the years. Whether it's chicken, pork, beef or turkey, been there done that. But these Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos are probably one of the most unique tacos I've ever eaten.
💭 Recipe Tip
Don't you hate it when raisins get stuck together in a big clump? To unstick the raisins, wet your hands with a little water then work the raisins apart.
Potatoes, apple, raisins, green chilies, cinnamon, yeah, this is one unique taco filling. It's very similar but different than Ofelia’s Cuban Picadillo. While they share the same name and both equally delicious, they are very different. I suggest you try both recipes and let me know what you think.
For another great Mexican dish, try my Turkey Tomatillo and Bean Burrito. You won't regret it! Taco lovers need to try my Slow Cooker Chicken Lime Taco recipes. For added flavor, you might want to make a batch of my Pickled Veggie Taco Toppings to go along with these awesome tacos.
🌮 How many Tacos per Person
For planning purposes, you should plan for two tacos per person. Each taco will have approximately 2 ounces of meat plus toppings. For reference, one pound of ground beef will yield about 14 ounces once cooked.
If you are a Taco lover, you need to check out our Top 5 Taco Recipes.
For more great recipes with Ground Turkey, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Ground Turkey, Yellow Onion, Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Apple, Green Chilies, Potatoes, Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes, Beef Broth, Apple Cider Vinegar, Ground Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Raisins, Salt and Ground Black Pepper.
🥣 How to make Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned.
Add the onion, chili powder, and cumin and mix in well, breaking up clumps of meat with a fork. Stir in the apple, green chilies, potato, tomatoes, and beef broth. Simmer covered 15 minutes.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook uncovered about 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Put a generous spoonful of Picadillo in a softened warm tortilla, fold and optionally garnish with Pico de Gallo and Queso Fresco.
Turkey Picadillo Soft Tacos
- 1 lbs Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 Cup Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Small Apple, Diced
- 4 ½ oz Green Chilies, Diced
- 2 Cups Russet Potatoes, Diced
- 14 ½ oz Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes, Chopped
- ½ Cup Beef Broth
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Clove
- ¼ Cup Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Add the onion, chilli powder, and cumin and mix in well, breaking up clumps of meat with a fork. Stir in the apple, green chilies, potato, tomatoes, and beef broth. Simmer covered 15 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook uncovered about 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Put a generous spoonful of Picadillo in a softened warm tortilla, fold and optionally garnish with Pico de Gallo and Queso Fresco.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.
leave comment and rating!