These Green Chili Pinwheels make a great appetizer. A great beginner recipe and ready to serve in about 2 hours!
You are probably wondering why they are called pinwheels. Well once they are rolled and cut they kind of look like pinwheels. These pinwheels are also called rolls.
Canned Green Chilies usually have a little liquid in them. It is up to you if you want to drain them before adding them to the cream cheese mixture. If you want a little more green chili flavor I suggest keeping the juice from the can.
The number of flour tortillas you need to use up all the filling depends on how much filling you put on each. I like my pinwheels to have a lot of filling so 3-4 flour tortillas usually does the trick.
If you really want everything to be made from scratch, I also have a super easy-to-make recipe for Homemade Flour Tortillas. Making your own tortillas brings a whole other dimension to these pinwheels.
I suggest serving these delicious green chili pinwheels with a side of salsa in keeping with the South West theme, but you can use any dipping sauce you want or use nothing at all! Totally up to you.
💭 Recipe Tip
While you can pretty much use any brand of cream cheese, I highly recommend you use Philadelphia brand cream cheese. You will taste the difference.
Also, make sure the flour tortillas are at a minimum room temperature before you decide to roll them up. If they are cold they will crack on you when you roll them up. This is an important step.
For more great recipes with flour tortillas, I suggest you check these recipes out:
📋 What Ingredients do I need
You will need the following ingredients to make this Green Chili Pinwheels recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Cream Cheese, Green Chilies, Red Onion, Sour Cream, Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Salt and Flour Tortillas.
🥣 How to make Green Chili Pinwheels
In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients (except tortillas). Mix until well combined.
Spread a thin layer of the mixture on each tortilla. Roll each tortilla tightly then wrap them in plastic wrap. Store the rolls in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
When ready to serve, slice into bite-size pieces. Optionally serve with salsa.
Green Chili Pinwheels
- Bowl for Mixing
- Plastic Wrap
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 oz Green Chilies, diced
- 1 small Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 3 large Flour Tortillas, room temperature
- Salsa, for dipping
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients (except tortillas). Mix until well combined.8 oz Cream Cheese, 4 oz Green Chilies, 1 small Red Onion, 1 Cup Sour Cream, ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper, ¼ teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Spread a thin layer of the mixture on each tortilla. Roll each tortilla tightly then wrap in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.3 large Flour Tortillas
- When ready to serve, slice into bite-size pieces. Optionally serve with salsa.Salsa
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.