BBQ. Did someone say BBQ? Doesn't matter what we are BBQ'ing, I am in! But don't get too excited about this recipe just yet. We aren't really BBQ'ing anything. Sorry about that.
But we are using a homemade BBQ sauce for these delicious BBQ Beef Sandwiches. Maybe one of these days I will figure out how to make the meat on my BBQ over low heat or my smoker. In the meantime, we will settle for making this recipe in the slow cooker.
If you plan on making this BBQ Beef Sandwiches recipe (you should), read the recipe card below before you begin.
While the prep time is pretty quick, it will take anywhere from 5 to 8 hours to cook depending on what temperature you use.
I've made this recipe on HIGH and on LOW. I find that this recipe is best when cooked on low. Not that cooking the meat on High tastes bad, but we prefer the Low method best.
💭 Ingredient Substitution
I often get asked what a good substitute for molasses would be. Not sure if it's because they don't have any on hand or simply don't like the flavor.
You have a few options as far as substitutes go: dark corn syrup, maple syrup, honey or even some dark brown sugar with a little water added to it.
Remember that substituting for one of these ingredients will alter the overall flavor of this recipe.
Not in the mood for BBQ Beef Sandwiches? Check out my other Sandwich & Wraps recipes. One of my favorite beef recipes is my Delicious Oven Cooked Barbecue Brisket. Yummy! My Asian Fire Meat is also a great one!
Have a pressure cooker (Instant Pot)? Then you MUST try this Instant Pot Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe.
📋 Gather your Ingredients
You will need the following ingredients to make this BBQ Beef Sandwich recipe (see recipe card for quantities): Ketchup, Yellow Onion, Apple Cider Vinegar, Molasses, Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic Cloves, Salt, Ground Mustard, Ground Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Red Pepper Flakes, Boneless Chuck Roast and Buns.
🥣 How to make BBQ Beef Sandwiches
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the chuck roast and the buns.
Cut the chuck roast in half. Place the pieces in the slow cooker. Pour the ketchup mixture over the roast ensuring the meat is well coated.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the meat is tender. The internal temperature should be at least 190°F.
Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks.
Skim any fat from the cooking juices in the slow cooker. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker and heat the meat in the sauce.
Use a slotted spoon or tongs to serve the shredded beef on your favorite buns.
BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Bowl for Mixing
- Slow Cooker
- 2 Cups Ketchup
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Molasses
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Dry Mustard
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 lbs Chuck Roast, boneless
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the chuck roast and the buns.
- Cut the chuck roast in half. Place the pieces in the slow cooker. Pour the ketchup mixture over roast ensuring the meat is well coated.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the meat is tender. The internal temperature should be at least 190°F.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Skim any fat from the cooking juices in the slow cooker. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker and heat the meat in the sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to serve the shredded beef on your favorite buns.
Nutritional information provided for this recipe is based on 1 serving. This information is an estimate and may vary based on several factors. If nutritional information is important to you and your diet, please verify this recipe with a Registered Dietitian.